Monday, July 14, 2008

Movin' on

July 12, 2008: Wes B-Q

In newspapers and I guess in every field of work, if you are lucky, there is a time when you get to work with really talented people who care deeply about what they do. When you can surround yourself with those people you are really in a great place.

I always want to be around people who are as or more talented and motivated than me because it makes me take my game to the next level. My few year editing at Copley Northern Illinois Newspapers (Waukegan, Elgin, Aurora, Joliet, Naperville and a bunch of zip code weeklies) were pretty amazing. The bar was always set high, the talent was even higher and the work and stories were amazing.

At the Tribune we have some incredibly talented photojournalists as well and over the past few years I have seen a bunch move on to other opportunities. This week was Wes Pope's turn, he is heading to the Rocky Mountain News as their multi media photographer. Wes' last day at the Tribune was the Fourth of July and he starts his new gig in Colorado July 28th.

I have known Wes for almost 10 years from his first tour of duty at the Tribune as a 1-year. I have always been impressed with Wes' images from the lake front series, his photos outside Wrigley during the Cubs playoff run years ago, his Guinea worm story in Ghana to his pop can pinhole series from Route 66 and many more great stories. He has always brought back fresh images with his unique point of view. Now, Wes has taken the next step in newspapers and taken the lead in multimedia from slide shows with music to video he is still taking his work to the next level.

Saturday I got to hang out with Wes at a little BBQ in Forest Park before heading into work. The hour I got to hang out was definitely not enough time but here are a few frames from the afternoon.

Good luck at the Rocky Mountain News Wes. I am sure you will continue to kick ass out there.

Here are a few moments from the BBQ.

-john

No comments: