Monday, July 14, 2008

A quick fix


July 12, 2008: More lights in the sky

Wow, am I in need of a good photo fix, it is like I am going through photo withdrawals. At the end of last week I was really feeling it bad. It has been a couple weeks since I posted anything on the blog and I have not shot a photo let alone three that I would even think about posting.

I keep my camera with me most of the time and have knocked off a few frames here and there but they are not even worth downloading to my computer. If I make one more traffic photo from the car I might have to retire the cameras for a while. But driving home Friday we had another thunder storm so I thought I would try again to catch lightening through the windshield on the way home I thought, "maybe the third time will be a charm." ( First try: Painting with light, Second try: Chasing lightening, again )

As I got out of the city I got the usual streaming street lights and a couple neat blurred road sign photos but the bolts were just not big enough and in the right place for this photo to work. The only two really big strikes I was were when I was in light traffic but I do not shoot in traffic or when there are cars around me.

On Route 31 between Crystal Lake and McHenry I was talking to Paulette on the phone and she was not home yet so I pulled over and made a few hand held frames out the window of my car. I probably could have found a better foreground but it was about midnight and I was just experimenting with shutter speeds and aperture settings. When I got home I grabbed my tripod from the garage and shot a little more around the house till Paulette got home.

As far as lightening photos go these are nothing to write home about but here are a few shots from that night.

-jk

No comments: