Thursday, May 7, 2009

Herman Yoder


Friday, May 1, 2009; Dealing treats on the side of the road.

I went light on this trip for the first time, one camera and one lens. I kicked myself a few times when I wanted to back up and shoot a little tighter but this was just a quick getaway trip for us.

Friday morning along the main road in Ojochal we ran into Herman Yoder, a Mennonite from Georgia, with his small table, umbrella and baked goods. Every Friday he travels about an hour and a half north to sell his goods.

Fifty-year-old Yoder has been in Costa Rica for 40 years. “I am not sure if I am a Costa Rican or an American,” he says, “I guess I am both.” He came to the country on a missionary trip and never went back.

Yoder had a few sales while I was hanging out but he says business has been slow lately. With tourism down in the area he says he is feeling the trickle down effect of the slower economy and he has to decide whether he will continue making the trip.

On his table are assorted breads, cookies, pies and cinnamon rolls. We picked up some cinnamon rolls 2500 colones, just under $5.00.

The cinnamon rolls were excellent and I am hoping his is still out there on our next trip.

-john

all photos © John Konstantaras

No comments: