Friday, May 22, 2009

My next picture


Tuesday, May 19, 2009; Funnin' Roun' in Clownytown

In the early 80's I remember going to a photo conference and listening to former Time Magazine and (at the time) current New York Times photo editor John Durniak speak. One quote from that day has stuck in my head through all these years; "You are only as good as your next picture."

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of my work over the years and I love to look back at my old images but you have to look forward in this business and always be working to improve and make yourself better.

I have always chased every assignment and story as hard as I can, but one of the great things about being your own boss is that you have more time to work on your own stories. For the past 30 years I have been taking notes on people, places and things I might to do stories on. Now I am putting those ideas in order and starting that journey.

So back to the 80's. A few years ago I went out to see my nephew John Leadley perform a stand up comedy act as Jodie Evenson the 80's Clown at a small club in Chicago. John has been doing stand up for a while and created an 80's Clown MySpace page for fun in 2006. It evolved into a real character when someone asked him to do a show in 2007.

I loved his show but spectator seating is not something I am comfortable with, I am always thinking of photo stories and 80's Clown was now on the list.

Tuesday I went down to Martyrs' in Chicago to start a new project and spend a little time with 80's Clown. He performed as part of the variety show "Night of the Living Entertainers" and only had a 5 minute performance but I got there early and hung out as he waited to step on stage. Here are three from the night.

By the way, Jodies's next show is going to be June 30th with Chicago Underground Comedy at the Beat Kitchen in Chicago. I will have more photos later.

-john

To see more photos of 80's Clown CLICK HERE or more from the "Night of the Living Entertainers " event CLICK HERE.

all photos © John Konstantaras

No comments: