Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Standing tall

Sunday, May 17, 2009: Bradley Jordan

I have been shooting sports for over 25 years and covered athletes at all levels from NBA finals to pee wee soccer. I love to shoot great action photos but telling stories and actually getting to know people is so much more of a rewarding experience. I am always looking for something special and every once in a while I run into a someone that just stops me in my tracks. A few weeks ago I was reunited with someone who has been on my "someday" story list for years.

I have been shooting tumbling and trampoline meets for almost 10 years and more than 5 years ago I saw Bradley Jordan at an AAU Junior Olympics, Brad is like greased lightening, flipping and twisting his way through his routine.

Brad has Majewski osteodysplastic primordial dwarfism type II, he is 15-years-old, 38 inches tall, weighs about 30 pounds. This is a really really rare form of dwarfism but what is even more rare is that Brad’s older sister Bridgette also has the same form or dwarfism, she is 17-years-old, 28 inches tall and weighs 19 pounds. You can learn more about Brad and Bridgette at their website HERE.

On Sunday at the AAU Trampoline and Tumbling State meet in Normal, IL I was with my wife’s team 5 Star Elite when Brad stepped onto the tumbling floor with the advanced level tumblers. Everyone who has been around tumbling knows Brad and cheers him on. If you have not seen him you cannot help but be amazed as he works his pass down the floor.

I made some photos as Brad competed and I found his mom Christy with him after he was done as they were buying flowers for Brad’s sister who was graduating from high school. I introduced myself and told her I would like shoot more photos of Brad.

Christy told me that they were currently working with a former Tribune photographer on a video documentary project. As it turns out Tom Van Dyke who was let go from the Tribune with me in April was shooting the video. I called Tom and we talked about Brad a bit and Tom told me about a good friend of his, Gary Parker, who has been shooting photos for the Little People of America Organization for years. Gary’s work is amazing and after looking at his images I do not know that I could do it any better. You can visit Gary’s website and check out his work HERE.

The Jordan’s have had many stories done on them and I am sure the last thing they need is a freelance photojournalist hanging out especially when they have a great shooter already documenting their lives.

I think there are different ways to achieve greatness in sports. One way is to be physically better than everyone; to run faster, to jump higher, to throw a ball faster and farther. Another comes deep down in the soul and it has to do with overcoming obstacles in your life and doing things that many would never think possible. To me Brad is really someone special.

Hopefully I will get to meet Gary in the future and look forward to seeing Brad at many AAU competitions in the years to come.

-john

all photos © John Konstantaras

No comments: