Monday, October 12, 2009

Rain, rain go away...


October 2, 2009: Huntley vs. Cary Grove

Friday night I was out at Huntley High School covering their football game against Cary Grove for CoachesAid.com.

This was my first cold rainy football game of the year and boy I miss the warm weather already. The key to shooting in bad weather is to pack light and be prepared, today I was ready for the rain.

I grabbed a couple of Bogen Super Clamps and piggy backed them together so I could clamp an umbrella to my monopod, if umbrella's are allowed on the sidelines this is my favorite setup. I have not found a waterproof bag that protects my gear from the rain and is easy to use but I am still looking.

Back in college I shot a season and it rained every weekend. It was a soak, dry, repeat season before cameras and lenses were loaded with electronics. We would wrap ourselves in plastic garbage bags, shoot the game, take my gear apart to let it dry out for a few days and do it again the next weekend. It was a long season.

When the rain comes down hard you do not expect the quarterbacks to air the ball out but both teams tried and they both gave up interceptions. Cary Grove shut out Huntley 23-0 to stay undefeated in the Fox Valley Conference.

Here are three from the game.

-Brandon Luczak, center, celebrates his interception in the first half.
-Cary Grove Alex Hembry breaks free for a touchdown in the third quarter.
-Huntley quarterback Brett Kleckner is stopped in his tracks by Cary Grove's Kyle Leibforth (44) after a bobbled snap in the second quarter.

-john

All photos © John Konstantaras 2009

No comments: