Thursday, November 5, 2009

Secondary game


October 16, 2009; Prairie Ridge vs. Johnsburg

The big high school football game of the day for the Northwest Herald was Cary Grove vs Crystal Lake South so that gave me a chance to pick up the secondary game for the paper. An added bonus is that it is only 10 minutes from my home.

Shooting football the past few weeks I have been spoiled with no tight deadlines. Tonight I had to get my pix to the paper by 10pm so that meant I would have to cut out before the game was over. If I had a wireless card I could send at the half and shoot the end of the game but right now my freelance gigs do not support the extra expense of a wireless card.

Working as a picture editor for the last 14 years I always tried to make sure all my assignments had complete information including contacts and phone numbers so my photogs were always well informed going into their assignments. I like walking into a game with some idea of who the underdog is so, after a little hunting online, I sent an e-mail to myself with the standout players to watch on both teams.

The storyline had to have something to do with Johnsburg's stud player, C.J. Fiedorowicz, who is expected to go to a division 1 school and their sophomore quarterback brought up to fill in for the starter who was injured last week. That said, both teams were fighting for a playoff position and this looked like it this was Prairie Ridge's game to lose.

Fiedorowicz was the star of the game and dominated on both sides of the ball and Johnsburg pulled off the upset.

Here are three from the game.

-Johnsburg sophomore quarterback Jon Torgerson scrambles to avoid Prairie Ridge defender Corey Peterson.
-Johnsburg running back Justin Peete (21) loses the handle on the ball in the first half.
-Johnsburg's C.J. Fiedorowicz (right) stays focused and makes a catch as Prairie Ridge defender Kyle Peterson hangs on in the second quarter.

-john

All photos © 2009 John Konstantaras/Northwest Herald

No comments: