Saturday, September 12, 2009

Back to school

September 11, 2009: Glenbard North vs Naperville North

Friday I took a ride out to Carol Stream to shoot a football game for a new high school sports website getting started in Illinois called CoachesAid.com.

I could not have asked for a better night to shoot a football game and since I did not have a tight deadline I was able to leave the MacBook behind and shoot the whole game.

I have always loved shooting high school sports. When I started my first job at the Northwest Herald back in the '80's I remember my goal was to try to bring Sports Illustrated style photos, great action and creative portraits, to the newspaper sports pages.

It has been at least 5-6 years since I have shot any high school ball and the big x-factor is always the light. Today it was good.

My favorite photos have always been sports features. Action is all about focus, timing and being in the right place at the right time. Features are all about being able to see moments.

Since it was the anniversary of the World Trade Center terrorist attack there was a ceremony before the game with local police officers and firefighters. I worked that but just did not pull off anything I really liked. I need to work a little more to get my features edge back.

Glenbard North dominated the game on both offense and defense cruising to a 21-0 win. Here are three of the Glenbard North defense in action.

-Glenbard North's Chris Wahrman (9) celebrates his interception late in the game.
-Nick Abbate (42) and the Glenbard North defense pick up Naperville North quarterback Matt Lacosse for no gain on a keeper in the first half.
-Naperville North quarterback Matt Lacosse (10) loses the ball as he is sacked by Glenbard North defender Nick Abbate (42) for an 8-yard loss in the first half.

-john

All photos © John Konstantaras 2009

No comments: