Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Friday night sights


September 4, 2009: Lingerie Football League is off in Chicago

Friday night I covered the inaugural Lingerie Football League game between the Chicago Bliss and the Miami Caliente for the Daily Herald. It was great to be working on deadline again, I really missed the adrenaline rush I get when covering a live event.

I got to the Sears Centre just before 7pm for the 9pm scheduled kickoff and worked the tailgaters a bit before heading into the arena. At a 6pm presser, "Da Coach" announced an ownership stake in the Chicago franchise so I also wanted to make sure a found Ditka during the game.

At most professional sporting events there is a media room where you can get rosters, snacks, water, find a PR person to answer questions and hook into the internet. Give me wifi, a set of rosters and a bottle of water and I am good to go at just about any sporting event. With the help of freelance photographer David Banks I was able to hook into two of the three. David let me copy the only rosters I saw at the game and helped me get into the wireless network.

I have shot pro, prep, peewee, college and arena football and have seen sidelines and shooting positions shrink a lot over the years. At the Sears Centre they let the photographers shoot from one end zone and the teams did not change directions at the half so we never had the Bliss offense driving toward us.

I wandered out of the shooters zone to shoot the pregame coin flip with Ditka and worked my way back to shoot the players getting ready to take the field before I was told that area was off limits to the media. Unfortunately that was right before the team ran onto the field so I did not get them running out with all the pyrotechnics going off but at least I got something a little different back stage. I always encouraged photographers working for me to try something different,
it is worth the risk to try a new angle to get a shot no one else has.

The teams played a competitive game but I do not think many fans came to watch the game.

I filed about 9 photos by my 10:30pm deadline and another 10 photos after the game. Here are 3 frames from the night.

-As the Caliente players take the field Chicago Bliss players get ready for their introductions.
-The shot almost everyone came to the game to see but you will never see it in the newspaper; Chicago QB Ellie Cartabiano is almost stripped but hangs onto the ball.
-Bliss player Danielle Moenay celebrates with fans after their 29-19 win.

-john

To see more photos check out the Daily Herald gallery HERE or check out my SportsShooter gallery HERE.


All photos © John Konstantaras 2009


No comments: