Saturday, June 7, 2008

Remembering Dimebag


March 2, 2001: Pantera at the UIC Pavillion

One from the Archives.

In March of 2001 I grabbed a Saturday night assignment to shoot the legendary heavy metal band Pantera during the Reinventing the Steel Tour at the UIC Pavilion for a photo essay in the Tribune's Tempo section. The assignment had no takers and we were a bit tight on staff that night so I dusted off my Nikons and took a stab at it.

The assignment was to get some behind the scenes photos of this legendary band before and after the show. Pantera had been around since the early 80's and still had a huge following. I must admit I was not a huge Pantera fan so I went out and bought a few of their CDs to make sure I knew some of their songs and I made sure I knew all the band members names. I figured if they were going to let me hang out with them the least I should do is know a little of their music.

My credential was waiting for me at the venue so I went in and found my contact. I was told wait here and we will take care of you when the band is ready. The waiting is definitely the hardest part because no matter what it says on the assignment you just don't know what you are going to get.

After hanging out for about a half hour or so I was told I could shoot the whole show and would be allowed in the locker room after the performance. The concert standard has always been shoot 3 songs and get out so I thought it was cool I would be able to hang out a little longer. I grabbed my credential and made my way out to the stage area to look around.

LIFE LESSON #63: Always carry earplugs in your camera bag or fanny pack.

Some things you just learn the hard way, thank God for a security guard this was not one of those for me. While I was hanging out I started talking to one of the security guards when he asked me, "Do you have ear plugs?" I did not so he gave me an extra pair he had. This would have been like the sun screen lesson I learned in high school during a spring break trip to Florida when I told a friend, "I never get sun burn." Uh uh.

The show was so loud when it was over my ears were ringing even with ear plugs. Maybe the three song limit was not such a bad idea. To this day I always keep ear plugs in my fanny pack.

After the show I went to my spot backstage and I waited and waited and waited. Standing outside the locker room with all the groupies wondering if I was going to get in, how much time I would have, what these guys were going to be like.

Finally the contact came out pointed at me and motioned for me to come in. Inside they introduced me to the band and these guys were among the nicest people I had ever met. Each band member had their own corner with their cases and belongings. Vinnie was hanging out on a couch with a rebel flag on his lap and a friend sitting close by. Dimebag was in another corner by his case drinking a can of Coors Light with his beard dyed bright red. I was handed a refreshment and just shot as the guys were winding down after the show.

While talking with some of the other people hanging out someone said "hey let me take your photo!" Usually I do not hand people my camera or shoot photos when people say "take my picture" but I said what the heck. Standing behind me was guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, I set the camera and they knocked off a frame. I have never been a big autograph or celebrity hound so I did not really think twice about the photo. The frame was a bit so I skimmed right by it during my edit after the show.

A short time later I noticed one of the guys pouring shots of Crown Royal in plastic cups. It was time for everyone to make a toast. I worked my way in to get a shot of the guys tipping one back as I held my cup in my teeth. I gave up doing shots a long time ago but did not want to insult my hosts so I had one (I think) and it was pretty smooth.

The photos ran, I filed a handful of negs and I tossed the outtakes into an envelope in my drawer and went back to the life of picture editing. On December 8, 2004 I came into work and heard that Dimebag was shot and killed on-stage at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio by an obsessed Pantera fan while performing with his brother's new band, Damageplan.

I dug through my drawer and found the negatives and scanned a few fresh frames to offer with the story. I also came across the frame of Dimebag and me and scanned it in for the first time, it was a smiler and it brings back memories of a good assignment.

-jk

No comments: